Saturday, August 18, 2007

Funerals can be a blessing

My great uncle passed away earlier this week. He is no longer suffering and is at rest. My grandmother is now the only sibling left out of nine! She turned 94 (yes and completely healthy and living in her own home) last March.

She buried her baby brother today.

It is one of the few times I remember seeing her cry. I can count them on one hand and I am 41 years old!

Listening to his grandchildren and his children read his selections from the Bible and tell their memories of him gave me insight to a man I only saw once every year or so. He always greeted me with a smile and usually said "You're Carole's daughter, right?"

It is at these type of functions that people share their most precious, sometimes, private thoughts about others. I learned that some of my cousins are saved and have professed Jesus as their Lord and Savior. I learned that my great uncle and grandmother end phone conversations in the same manner, "Thank you for this." I learned that even in death, your name is important. I heard the love professed that I had always felt. I learned that God's ways really do stand the test of families, time and sin.

My family is not perfect but it is what I know. I know more now than I did this morning.

1 comment:

momwithbrownies said...

It's in the depths of emotion that we see blessings of the soul.

Beautiful post.